Monday, August 31, 2009

The Top 5 Movies of Summer 09'

The summer is coming to an end, so I’ve decided it was time to make my top 5 list of favorite films for the summer. I hesitated at first since I didn’t get a chance to see Moon, but since there is no DVD release date in sight, and since I’ve basically seen everything else, I just decided to make the damn list.


So here it is, my top 5 movies of the summer (May-Aug):



5. Drag Me to Hell

Sam Raimi exorcised the demons that have been haunting his career since Spider-Man 3 with this Evil Dead-esque horror film. I’m glad that Raimi dropped the big budget Spider-Man movies to go back to his filmmaking roots.



4. The Brothers Bloom

From the director of Brick comes this classy and witty film, which will instantly remind you of The Sting, about a duo of con men that reunite for one last job. The performances of Mark Ruffalo, Adrien Brody, Rachel Weisz, and the again silent Rinko Kikuchi make this film unforgettable. Another great aspect of the film is that it doesn’t rely on technology; sometimes you’re forgetting in which time period the story takes place in.


3. The Hurt Locker

I’m not big on war films, but The Hurt Locker, as of yet, is the best film made about the current conflict in Iraq. Even though Guy Pearce and Ralph Fiennes have brief appearances in the film, Jeremy Renner steals the show as a soldier who leads a small bomb squad unit into the chaos of war torn Iraq.



2. Inglourious Basterds

Tarantino’s latest movie does not disappoint. I would summarize it, but everyone knows about this movie. Just change your shorts and go see it again.



1. Public Enemies

Even though the film has its problems, it does not stop it from being my favorite movie of the summer. Just look at my review at the bottom of the page for a further analysis.


1 comment:

  1. Again No Surprise to Number 1

    Number 2 I need to see so bad, and as for the rest, there is no way!

    ReplyDelete